DIY: How to Clean Suede Posted on 21 Sep 12:54
To clean suede:
- Rub the surface of the garment with a clean bath towel. This brings up the nap.
- Try to remove small, dry stains through the judicious use of a clean pencil eraser. Small stains that are still wet should be blotted up by putting a paper towel on it and a weight on top of the towel. For either kind of stain, avoid using a chemical stain remover.
- Stains may also be rubbed off with a damp towel and some white vinegar. Allow the leather to dry before assessing your success. After drying, the garment will reek of vinegar for a while – but it will eventually fade.
- If there are lumps of dirt or dry scuff marks that won’t come off this way, try rasping them off with a fingernail file. Be gentle.
- Your last step (if cleaning suede shoes) is to brush the shoe gently with a wire suede brush.
- Body oil stains on clothing and suede furniture can be attacked with a degreaser leather cleaned made especially for suede.